Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Super-Size Me: A quilt block writ large

During the last meeting of the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild, we were challenged to take a regular quilt block and super-size it to make a child's quilt.  I had just picked up a copy of the Summer 2015 issue of Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks and found a block I thought would be perfect for this.
The block is called Saving Grace by Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew.  You should go check out her great blog, follow her on Instagram and see what else she has to offer.  She has tutorials, patterns and even a book.
This isn't going to be a step by step tutorial.  I will show you the piece as I go along and include some links to other tutorials on how to super-size your own block or how to make a quilt with supersized blocks.  I pulled some squares and fat eighths from my stash, a suitable background fabric and got cutting.
The block made up pretty quickly with these larger shapes.
I added a border to bring the finished size up to what I think is a good size for little ones.
Trimming some batting.
I quilted it with a flat meander.  Needle and bobbin threads are Omni from Superior Threads.
I used a piece of flannel for the backing to make it extra snuggly.  The texture from the quilting is awesome.  Washed I bet this one will be great!
Stripy binding that pulls some of the colors from the top makes a nice finish.  Finished size is 36" by 36".
Do you want to super-size your own quilt block or use a tutorial for a supersized block quilt?  I found some great resources out there on the web.

Sewn by Leila provides a tutorial on her blog about the math required to up-size a block.

Sew Mama Sew also has a tutorial for supersizing a block.  Finished Size:  70" x 70"

In Color Order has a giant star tutorial.  Finished size:  68" x 68"

Cloud Nine Fabrics has one for giant hexies.  Finished size:  34" x 44"

There are so many ways to make a simple block really shine on its own little quilt.


1 comment:

  1. What a great quilt! Thanks for sharing these pages! Going to go check them all out now!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.