Sunday, December 25, 2016

Quilter's Quest: Feathers and Flowers

A friend participated in the 2015 Quilter's Quest Shop Hop and this is the quilt she decided to make. I didn't participate in the shop hop during 2015 and 2016 for various reasons. My 2014 Quilter's Quest quilt is still waiting to be quilted. I'll be adding it to my UFO list for 2017.
This quilt has been on my shelf for what seems like ages waiting to be quilted. Part of that was because I wasn't sure how to quilt it. I finally decided on a design that would define the borders with swirls and feathers with echoes and an all-over flower motif for the center of the quilt.
I like to quilt for quilters that give me the chance to do what I want, but it challenges me, too. When I piece my own quilts I have plenty of time to think about the quilting because I have all that time with the quilt. When someone hands me a quilt and says "make it pretty" it takes more time to decide what I should do. There is also the worry that it won't be what they want, but I suppose they did accept that risk.
I'm really pleased with how this quilt turned out. The texture is nice and I think the quilting doesn't compete with the piecing, it complements it. Someone on Instagram recommended I quilt it with straight lines, but I wanted to soften it a little. Straight-line quilting might be good for some quilts, and given a different color palette I might have decided to quilt it differently.

Day 25 of the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.