Friday, July 7, 2017

Glittering Knit and Slide

It took me entirely too long to get the perfect three skeins of yarn for this project. These are all Ewe So Sparkly Sock from Tempting Ewe Yarns. A yummy fingering weight with a touch of sparkle.s
The pattern is another beauty from Stephen West called Knit 'n Slide. I caked the yarn and got stitching during the Wednesday game night.
Made almost entirely with the humble knit stitch it works up quickly until you get to the fancy border. Then, you go from hundreds of stitches to an almost impossible 1200+ stitches. I use Knit Picks Options Interchangeable Nickle-Plated Circular Needles. This lets me start with a shorter cable (the 40") and shift up to a longer cable (the 60") when the stitches start to feel crowded.
The picot bind off makes those 1200+ stitches seem an impossible task. The effect will be worth the time and effort, though.
Even before blocking it was a nice size and shape.
I started with blocking wires and then decided the Knit Blockers and pins would be just fine. I used every single t-pin I own for this blocking job. I didn't pin every picot point, but enough of them to open each of those loopy bits.
I knit the smaller size and it is just right. Not all shawls need to be super-sized.
I think I might knit the center of this one again. I'm not so certain about the edging even though it is pretty awesome after blocking. It did give me some ideas about using short rows to make interesting shapes. Some test knitting might be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.