Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Travel Knitting

I've shared a couple Aunt Betty posts before, but this time Betty is a knitter. If you don't know who Aunt Betty is, you should totally go check out this great video by Professor Pincushion. It is worth the four or five minutes of your time.
This particular Aunt Betty dropped off several trash bags of yarn. The claim was that it was crowding her creative space and blocking the creativity. I totally understand that! I pulled out all the awesome yarn to share. So many ideas in here.
I caked up a couple skeins for the trip to California. I like to start a project at BWI and see how far I can get before I get home. This little bit was my beginning. I'm not even sure this piece survived as I generally have to rip out my cast on about three times before I like the direction the project is going.
This started out looking like a shawl.
Then, I joined it to work in the round.
I worked through an entire cake before going crazy with the increases.
This gorgeous succulent, found outside Lolo's in Morro Bay California, could have been the color inspiration for this yarn.
Once I got through the first cake, I started to add texture. This lace is similar to that used on Bosc Pear, a free pattern on Ravelry. It is a variation of Slip Stitch Lace using three stitches.
I'm going to add an unknown number of lace repeats to the bottom edge of the tube. This type of cowl is similar to Viajante by Martina Behm, a paid pattern available through Ravelry. I started with my own triangle shape and am placing increases where I think they will work. This project is a complete experiment. The perfect thing when Aunt Betty gives you yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.