Monday, June 1, 2015

Sew Together Bag Swap

I joined the Sew Together Bag Swap on Instagram (#sewtogetherbagswap).  I figured it was time to share the fun little bag I put together for my partner.
I had this small collection of 30's reproduction prints from the 2014 Row by Row Shop Hop.  They are doing it again this year and it is even bigger than last year.  Shops in all 50 states are participating. Check out the Row by Row Experience.
I pulled out my copy of the Sew Together Bag pattern from Sew Demented.  Then I grabbed a handful of zippers from ZipIt! Zipper Supply that coordinated.
I had made some tiny Churn Dash blocks for another project and I thought they would be perfect for this.  I made four tiny blocks.  The finished blocks are 3" by 3".  If you want to know how the Churn Dash goes together, you can check out a great video from Missouri Star Quilt Co on YouTube.
The layout for this one took some math, but it wasn't impossible.  A little bit of time with some graph paper and I had it figured out.
I won't go into the assembly process for the Sew Together Bag.  I will tell you that this isn't my first and that the tutorial provided by The Quilt Barn is amazing!  If you decide to try this pattern I highly recommend the tutorial for your first time.
One modification I do to the pattern is to make two needle-landings instead of a pin cushion and a needle-landing.  I can do the same thing with the needle landing that I would do with a pin cushion and I think it is neater.
I used this fun all-over motif called paisley.  You can find a tutorial from Leah Day on her site.  She has loads and loads of great free motion quilting tutorials that can be used on your sewing machine or on a long arm.
Another great resource for quilting motifs is from Lori at The Inbox Jaunt.  Great step by step tutorials for free motion quilting that can be applied to free motion on your sewing machine or on a long arm.
This bag is so versatile.  You can use it for your sewing tools when traveling or use it to hold other artistic tools like pens and pencils.  I use one to hold my hexie piecing tools (needle, thread, little binder clip, pins), fabric squares and hexie papers.  It is easy to grab and go.
I think the finished bag is perfect.  I recommend the pattern if you are looking for great bag and a bit of a challenge.  I think beginning sewers can accomplish this bag if they just take their time.  It isn't fast but I think the results are totally worth it.
I had some scraps leftover so I made a tiny notebook cover in coordinating prints.  This was a fun swap that I'm really glad I joined.

Have you found any fun swaps that you have enjoyed making as much as receiving?  What about great bag patterns that you've made again and again?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.