Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Tool Tip: Non-stick Foot

I decided it was time to make myself a new everyday bag. the one I made a few years ago is more than a little ratty. I designed this bag so it would have all the things I like in a bag. A zippered pocket to hold my wallet so I don't have dig around for it and I know it is secure. Large inside for all the things I carry, like a cloth tote bag to avoid adding more plastic bags to the waste stream. And three inside pockets for the things I know I would lose, like my cell phone, my keys, my coffee cozy, and my Sharpies.
Then I discovered how ill-prepared I was to sew with vinyl. I did a little research and found that I needed either a roller foot or a non-stick foot for my machine. I called up the closest Pfaff dealer to see if they had any in stock. Thankfully, Capital Vacuum and Sewing in Annapolis had one of the non-stick feet. After a Saturday lunch with Darling Husband, I ripped out the bad stitching that I had tried on the vinyl and tried it out. Stitched like a champ!
Here is the bag in the state I left it when I decided I needed the right tool for the job. The thing that may not be obvious is that I needed to do some ripping at that point. Making a bag for the first time in a long time always comes with some challenges. Like getting the strap in the right seam before stitching it up.
I managed to finish the bag and I'm so glad I've added a new technique and a new tool to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.