Monday, January 15, 2018

Geese in Flight

When I join in block bees at guild I seem to have trouble picking a block. This year I decided to ask for flying geese blocks. In 2017 I joined in the stash bee. Meaning you were supposed to pull fabrics from your collection and not buy new fabrics. You can read the directions for my bee blocks in this post from April 2017. A paper piecing pattern is available if you want to make big flying geese.
During the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild retreat I pulled out a bunch of geese and decided to use up some of my leftover fabrics, add in some low-volume blocks, and add some black geese to the mix. I played with layout but didn't make any decisions. In January I decided to pull out the blocks and come up with something I liked. I tried the geese in different directions, but decided I wanted to limit the geese to flying either North, or East. Why? Because I needed some sort of rules for the layout.
I made some changes as I went along.
Another challenge came in when I got to the borders. I still had a couple geese left over. I also had a few black and white half-square triangle units that I thought would be great for cornerstones.
Then, I put together a border with only low-volume background fabric. I think it is big enough to be a quilt now. Maybe not a big quilt, but a quilt. Now I just need some backing so I can get it finished up. This one is number 4 on the Get It Done UFO Challenge for 2018.

Cutting tools: Wrights 4.5" Easy AngleWrights Companion AngleTucker Trimmer IICreative Grids 6.5" Square, and Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper II

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! I love that the geese have direction and the border is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.