Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018 - January

This is the first installment of the Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018.
For January was number 5. What is number 5?
Number 5 is this stack of charm packs and coordinating fabric. This is one of those projects that ended up on the list because I fear I will never use up all these charm packs.
I picked up this great template at a quilt shop in Connecticut a few years ago. I've definitely gotten my money out it, too. I've made several of these tumbler quilts and this template makes quick work of cutting the 256 tumblers you need to make this quilt.  You can find the template at the Missouri Star Quilt Co. They even have a YouTube video showing how to use it.
I also find the Fiskars 8x8 Inch Rotating Cutting Mat makes the work go even faster.

I usually cut 4-6 layers at a time so just giving the rotating mat a half-turn and cutting the other side is so much quicker than trying to shift around that stack of fabric.
I spent entirely too much time playing with the layout. I use the 72" White Cheryl Ann's Quilting Design Wall when doing quilt layout.
I webbed the tumblers together into two halves. Then joined the rows until I had the top and bottom sewn up.
Then joined them into the center of the quilt. A little trimming, the addition of a border, and it was ready for quilting.
I found the perfect backing for this quilt at Spring Water Designs.
The quilting was this great flower motif that is perfect for covering a quilt quickly but in something more interesting that a meander.
Labeled and bound! That's a wrap for the January Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018!

Have you finished a fun project this month? If not, what are you waiting for?

2 comments:

  1. This is so darling! I always have a hard time using precuts and this is a perfect pattern for them. I have yet to visit that quilt shop -- usually my go to is Capital Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous quilt! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.