Friday, November 4, 2016

Holiday Sewing

A few years ago I made a quilt using holiday prints. It challenged me when it came to assembly, quilting and ultimately even the washing.
Somehow, I still have more holiday prints than I know what to do with. It was time to put together another holiday quilt in the hope of using up some of this fabric. I decided it was time to play with the Quick Curve Ruler from Sew Kind of Wonderful again. This time with the Metro Rings pattern. Everyone that has tried it says it is the quickest way to get to a double wedding ring without templates or tears.
I played with placement of colors and prints. More as an experiment than as real planning. This is generally how I make quilts. I rarely plan something from start to finish with every detail defined. It just isn't how my creative process works. Besides, in the end it is just fabric.
Slowly blocks came together. When I would run out of a component I would pull more from the stack and cut.
Before long I had the center, or what I thought was the center.
I played with placement and reached the point where I had enough blocks to make a good-sized throw quilt. (This is somewhere in the 60" by 70" range.)
So much movement!
All that movement, and an abundance of green fabric with candy canes, made me go for a 3" wide border. I think this one needed a frame. Partly to frame the work and partly to add the stability a border can add.

I took advantage of a sale at a local quilt shop for the (not holiday) backing fabric so I hope to have this one quilted, washed and on the couch well in advance of mid-winter. The bin of holiday prints still has fabric in it, but not enough for another throw quilt, so I will consider this a win. And no tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.