Friday, May 26, 2017

All You Need is Love

Since the last time I posted about my heart quilt, I've made some great progress. This is one of the quilts on my list of 12 UFOs for the 2017 Spring Water Designs Get It Done UFO Challenge (this is number 6).
I played with layout some more until I had something that made me happy.
I found some heart fabric in my collection that seemed right for the border. Some of that stuff on the floor is destined for Annapolis Quilts for Kids.
Before I pieced the center of the quilt I embroidered this great winged heart design from Urban Threads onto the center block. It is a little high in the heart block, but I don't mind.
I also used the Inked Alphabet to make my label. Mixing this set with script makes for labels with impact.
I don't often piece a backing with much more intent than sewing two pieces of fabric together. Mostly because I find putting a bunch of work into the backing tedious. I used one of the orphan blocks as my label, so I had to do some extra work to piece it into the backing. In this case I added 18" to the width of fabric with this inset piece. I usually go for a very asymmetrical layout for the backing, I'm not in the mood to try to match up the top to the backing with anything approaching precision. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.
This is how I quickly determine if the backing is big enough for the top. I fold both in quarters and match up the folds. My goal is a backing that has two parallel edges (selvages are perfect for this), and has enough room to be attached to the top and bottom leaders, and enough room for the side clamps.

I leave the selvage edges on my backing fabric and always tear the fabric to remain on-grain. I join the pieces with wider than normal (1/2" in this case) seam allowances, and press to one side or open.

I haven't decided how I'm going to quilt this one, yet. I've set it aside for a while while I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.