Friday, May 5, 2017

Charity Quilting Into Spring

Last time I went to Annapolis Quilts for Kids I picked up a few finished tops.
These little quilts quilted up quickly. Now they are trimmed and ready for binding.
I laid out a couple quilt tops using some of the string blocks I've made over the last few months. The bag of strings doesn't seem to get any emptier no matter how many blocks I pull out. I set up my side table with two charity quilts and my stack of heart block pieces. I'll tell you more about the heart blocks in another post. This little bit of planning can get you sewing in a hurry. I try to work on small pieces of a project during the week and then tackle things like quilting on the weekends.
I pieced this fun string block quilt top. Making these tops from the leftovers of other projects is so satisfying.
I quilted this one I made last month. Now I just need to piece the binding and attach it. I trim the quilted piece using a Creative Grids 6.5" by 24.5" ruler. For tips on making string blocks I recommend you check out Bonnie Hunter's directions for string piecing.
I also picked this quilt top up at Quilts for Kids. I've trimmed it and let the maker know it is ready to be picked up for binding.

You can find a simple pattern for this simple block layout with two borders on Quilt For Kids website. I recommend all beginning quilters join a local group like Quilts for Kids or Project Linus. They will help you learn how to piece quilt tops, provide support, and you can use their fabric to perfect your 1/4-inch seam.

To square up the string blocks I use the Tucker Trimmer I, it's perfect for squaring up small and large blocks. I'm thinking about trying the 6.5" Square from Creative Grids. Do you have a favorite ruler or tool for squaring up quilt blocks?

2017 Charity Quilt Count: 20

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.