Friday, May 12, 2017

Camping and Breakfast Casserole

This week has been super busy.
Last weekend we loaded up the travel trailer and headed to western Maryland for the Sheep and Wool Festival. I think this is the fourth year I've attended. The first step was to make the bed with this amazing quilt.
The next morning I pulled together the ingredients of some breakfast casserole. What is in breakfast casserole you ask? Well, loads of tasty and bad for you things.

  • 1 cup of Thrive sausage crumbles
  • 2 cups shredded potato (I used frozen hash browns, and a single layer of tator tots will do the job just as well)
  • 1/2 cup of pico de gallo
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Don't forget to grease the baking dish. Trust me on this one. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Follow the directions to rehydrate the sausage. Mix the potato, rehydrated sausage, and pico de gallo in small bowl, pour into the baking dish (I used a round cake pan lined with foil) and spread evenly. Whisk eggs and pour over potato mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake 35-40 minutes, let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
This is what happens when you forget to grease the pan. It wasn't tragic but it wasn't easy to serve. This recipe makes 2-4 servings depending on the size of your appetite.

I've heard that the heat of some RV ovens can be uneven. We picked up an inexpensive pizza stone to put in the bottom of the oven to help even out the temps inside. We bought the Nordic Wear Pizza Stone. It seemed to do the job, but there isn't much finesse with breakfast casserole. It did work out for the little cake I baked. That will have to wait for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.