Monday, May 8, 2017

All You Need is Love

When I put together the list of 12 UFOs for the 2017 Spring Water Designs Get It Done UFO Challenge I added a heart quilt as number 6. Ever since I quilted the Quilts for Pulse last year I knew I wanted to make one for myself. I had been adding scraps of about the right size to a box on my cutting table since then. When I sat still long enough to go through the giant box of set aside fabric I realized I may have to limit the number of heart blocks.
This block is 10.5" by 10.5". You can find the free pattern and tutorial on Cluck Cluck Sew. There you will find directions for sizes from 4" square to 10" square. I should try out some of the small hearts. They are created using the stitch and flip method. I find that method very accurate, but also slow. I like to piece blocks quickly so I looked at the finished block and did some calculations on how to make the block using the Easy Angle 6.5" ruler.
I cut my neutral background fabrics and my hearts and worked on them between piecing charity quilts. When I ran out of neutral background fabric pieces I still had hearts so I cut some more background fabric. If you don't have a huge collection of fabric, you could grab this great rainbow of fat quarters from Connecting Threads and a suitable background fabric to make a rainbow of hearts.
I'm still planning my layout for the quilt. I've got a couple leftover blocks that will be going into the back of the quilt.

Do you have a fun block deign you'd like to share? I would love to hear about it.

Want to read about my adventure with Quilts for Pulse? Here is a list of the posts about that project.
Love is the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild Jun 17, 2016
Love Is Update July 4, 2016
Love Is Update July 11, 2016
Another Love Is Update July 22, 2016
Love Is Shipping Quilts for Pulse August 2016

The project touched me in a ways I didn't know it would and I am so glad the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild joined me in creating love out of fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.